I could eat Mozzarella Sticks everyday. I mean, how can you resist gooey, fried cheese dipped in a thick Marinara sauce? Since I am always looking for quick and appetizers, I found a recipe from A Taste of Home for fried Mozzarella sticks using egg roll wrappers and string cheese. Someone posted in the comment section on Pinterest that you can bake them instead of deep frying. Intrigued, I tested the baked version and they turned out incredible.
All you need are egg roll wraps, skim Mozzarella sticks, olive oil and any type of tomato sauce.
Grease a baking sheet and preheat your oven to 350. Simply follow the instruction on the package if this is your first time using egg roll wrappers. I placed each stick of cheese in the middle and folded the edges in nice and snug. Next I rolled them and brushed each with extra virgin olive oil.
Be sure they are rolled tightly, otherwise cheese will ooze out while baking. I learned this the first time. 🙂
Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven. They should be nice and crispy with a golden brown color. Serve with tomato sauce. I happened to have some left over tomato cream sauce and it was a fantastic combination.
- 12 pieces of string cheese
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Marinara or tomato sauce for dipping.
- Place a piece of string cheese near the bottom corner of one egg roll wrapper (keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use). Fold bottom corner over cheese. Roll up halfway; fold sides toward center over cheese. Moisten remaining corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. They should be a nice golden brown and crispy when done.
- Serve with Marinara or any type of tomato sauce and enjoy!