I have been on a bourbon kick lately and my current favorite is Angel’s Envy. Last summer I was sent a sample bottle and ever since my first sip it has been in my top five list of favorite bourbons. Truly an artisan’s masterpiece, Angel’s Envy is aged up to six years in charred white oak barrels and finished in ruby port wine casks. Smooth and sinfully delicious, it is my preferred bourbon for cocktails. So, what is it about Angel’s Envy that makes it so unique? For starters, it is crafted in downtown Louisville by Master Distiller Lincoln Henderson and hand-blended in batches of 8 to 12 barrels at a time. Using only the finest local ingredients which are distilled in micro-batches and aged in American oak, Mr. Henderson personally tastes every barrel to ensure it meets his expectations. It is a labor of love that will delight the palate and exceed your expectations. Angel’s Envy is a must have for bourbon lovers.Source: Bourbon Blog
A few weeks ago, I found a pin for a Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Bean Bourbon Smash and knew it would taste amazing with Angel’s Envy. I made this delicious drink today for one of my favorite bar customers and he loved it. Courtesy of the blog, Foxes Love Lemons, this cocktail is great for a lazy Sunday afternoon or for a cocktail party with friends. Meyer lemons are a favorite of mine and I stock up when they are in season.
What I love most about this drink is that it is made with vanilla bean simple syrup which really enhances the flavors of the cocktail and balances the tartness of the Meyer Lemon. Simple syrups are fantastic for getting creative with cocktails and the flavor possibilities are endless. Here are some great simple syrup recipes to try.
I know you will enjoy this cocktail as much as I did. Cheers!
- For the Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup:
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and scraped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Bean Bourbon Smash (1 cocktail):
- 1/4-inch-thick slice of Meyer lemon
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- Club soda
- Make Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup: In small saucepan, combine vanilla bean, sugar and water. Simmer over medium heat 5 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; let stand at room temperature until completely cool. Remove vanilla bean and discard. Transfer syrup to airtight container and refrigerate up to 1 month.
- Make Meyer Lemon-Vanilla Bean Bourbon Smash: In rocks glass, muddle lemon slice. Add ice, bourbon, Vanilla Bean Simple Syrup and bitters; stir. Top drink off with club soda. Enjoy!