I love this time of year. School is back in session, temperatures are slightly cooling and football is back. Baking is one of my favorite hobbies and nothing inspires me more than the arrival of a new season. I was excited to participate in this week’s edition of #SundaySupper, which features squash, because I love baking with pumpkin and zucchini. Last year I made brownies for the first time with zucchini and am excited to share this easy recipe which has become one of my favorites. While I have experimented with several variations of this recipe, I recently discovered a new food blog, Chef in Training, and absolutely love her version of this delicious dessert. Rich and decadent, my kids have no idea that these brownies are made with zucchini.
Baking with zucchini always brings back memories of when I was young and loved to garden. Aww, look how cute I was.
With NFL officially back tonight, I know what I will be enjoying as I watch my beloved San Francisco 49ers beat the Dallas Cowboys. Enjoy!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- Chocolate Frosting
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine oil, sugar, vanilla together in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add egg and beat in until well blended. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and stir until well combined. Stir in zucchini. Batter will be on the drier side. Don't panic, the moisture from the zucchini will come out while baking and moisten it up perfectly. Pour and spread out evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until done.
- Chocolate Frosting
- Melt together butter, milk and cocoa in a medium microwave safe bowl for 1-2 minutes until butter is melted and mixture is warm. Stir together. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies.
Check out some of these fabulous recipes featuring squash:
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Pumpkin Pie Cocktail from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash & Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups and Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin soup with Bacon & Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Butternut Chicken Risotto from Cooking Chat
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini Boats from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Rustic Summer Squash Tart from The Redhead Baker
- Sausage & Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach & Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Acorn Squash from Runners Tales
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini & Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini & Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet & Savory Roasted Delicata Squash & Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Rolls from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Streusel Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.