Happy Friday! I love this time of year when blood oranges are in season. As soon as I see them in the market, I am sure to purchase a bunch and enjoy them in everything from fresh juice and cocktails to salads and in marinades. Perfect for snacking, these gorgeous pieces of citrus are one of my favorite fruits. As with all of my favorite things, I search for new ideas on Pinterest and the other day I came across a recipe for Blood Orange Margaritas from the blog, How Sweet It Is, and decided to recreate the recipe and make it my own. I am very picky about Margaritas and never order them while dining out unless they are made with fresh ingredients. In my opinion, nothing is worse than pre-made sour mix and bottled lime juice.
All you need to make this luscious Margarita is fresh blood orange juice, your favorite tequila (I prefer a silver), fresh lime juice, orange liquor and agave or simple syrup. Perfect for cooling off on a warm evening or for entertaining guests at your next cocktail party, this is sure to be a hit. Pair this with fresh guacamole and you will be in heaven. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 oz tequila of your choice (I prefer silver over gold)
- 1 oz Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur (you can use Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec or an Orange Curacao)
- 1 oz agave (you can also use simple syrup)
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2 oz fresh blood orange juice (I juiced 2 small blood oranges)
- Kosher Salt for rim (optional)
- Fill a shaker with ice and combine all ingredients except salt.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a glass filled with ice and a salted rim (if you like salt).
- Garnish with a fresh blood orange or lime wedge.