Every now and then a girl gets a craving for a hot dog. As I was researching recipes for Arizona, I kept seeing Sonoran Hot Dogs and suddenly had a flashback to one of my many trips to Mexico back in my late teens/early 20’s. I believe I was 19 and was in Guadalajara for the first time. Hungry after walking around all day, I purchased a hot dog from a street vendor. It was wrapped in bacon and topped with fresh avocado, some Cotija cheese and Mexican crema. Damn, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. The Sonoran Hot Dog is an Arizona staple and while it originally comes from Northern Mexico, many places in Arizona have given this hot dog a cult-like following. Today I made it my mission to recreate this hot dog as best I could and found guidance with a recipe from Epicurious.
Wrapped in bacon and grilled, these puppies are served in a toasted bun with pinto beans, pico de gallo, sliced avocado, pickled jalapeno and a mayo drizzle. I began with the pico de gallo, which is a simple blend of diced tomato, minced garlic, cilantro, lime juice, cayenne pepper, diced red onion and kosher salt. Simply combine everything in a bowl and mix well.
Next is my favorite part….wrapping your hot dogs in BACON. You can use any brand you prefer, I just went with Hebrew National because they were buy one get one at Publix. After your hot dogs are wrapped, place them either on an outdoor grill on or on a grill pan. I don’t have an outdoor grill so I used my trusty grill pan.
Once your hot dogs are grilled and the bacon is nice and crispy, you can begin to assemble the irresistible Sonoran Hot Dogs. You can toast your buns in an oven or place them on the grill, which is what I did. Place the bacon dogs nice and snug into the buns, add a spoonful of pinto beans to one side, top with pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos if you like it hot and sliced avocado. Next drizzle some mayo over the top and add more fresh cilantro. Voila! Your dogs are done.
I really enjoyed these and hope you will to! Next I will be showcases recipes from Arkansas so be sure to check back.
- -1 medium tomato seeded and diced
- -1/2 medium red onion, diced
- -1/2 garlic clove, minced
- -3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- -1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- -1 teaspoon kosher salt
- -4 hot dogs
- -4 slices of bacon
- -4 large hot dog buns or hoagie rolls
- -1/4 cup canned pinto beans
- -1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- -1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices
- -additional sprigs of cilatro for garnish
- Combine tomato, red onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare grill for high heat. Wrap each hot dog in 1 bacon slice and grill, turning often, until bacon is cooked through and crisp on all sides, 12–14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice open buns, leaving ends intact. Gently toast in a 350°F oven or on grill until buns are warmed through and lightly crispy.
- Nestle hot dogs into buns. Spoon 1 Tbsp. beans on one side of each dog,top with pico de gallo, then arrange avocado slices and 1 Tbsp. jalapeños on the other side. Drizzle mayonnaise over hot dogs and top with cilantro. Serve with a side of your choice.