October has always been one of my favorite months. It always seems to be when the cooler fall weather kicks in and everything pumpkin is in full swing. As a pizza lover, I love the fact that October is National Pizza Month and I celebrate all month long by eating pizzas all over town. My kids, like me, love pizza and we enjoy making our own at home. Sometimes we are short on time and order delivery or we get creative and make pizza grilled cheese sandwiches.
My love for everything grilled cheese has been ongoing for many years and I love experimenting in the kitchen with grilled cheese varieties such as mac and cheese, Buffalo chicken, blt, chicken pesto and more. One day when my kids and I were making sourdough bread pizzas, we decided to try a pizza grilled cheese. We used shredded mozzarella, marinara sauce, pepperoni and sausage. It came out great and I then made one like my favorite pizza……Margherita. I found that shredded mozzarella works better than fresh on a grilled cheese, as it melts better, and sourdough is my bread of choice.
To make a basic pizza grilled cheese, all you need is: sourdough bread slices, marinara sauce (either store bought or made from scratch), shredded Italian cheese such as mozzarella or any Italian blend, toppings of your choice (such as pepperoni, sausage, peppers, basil, etc.), a grill pan or a panini press and olive oil or butter. Take two pieces of bread, slather with sauce, top with cheese and toppings of your choice and then put them together (sauce and toppings on the inside). Simply heat olive oil or butter on a grill pan to a medium-high heat (or heat a panini press according to its instructions) and then grill your creation until it is golden brown. I used a cast iron panini press weight for my sandwich and it came out great.
For this particular sandwich I used Mezzetta Pizza Sauce, (as their sauces are my favorite store bought sauces on the market), sourdough bread, shredded Mozzarella, and fresh basil. It is so easy to create the flavor of a Margherita pizza in the form of a grilled cheese and you will find yourself hooked! I am planning on having a pizza grilled cheese throw-down one night so I can see how creative my friends can get.
I hope you enjoyed this simple, yet tasty recipe, in honor of National Pizza Month and I encourage you to check out some of these fantastic pizza inspired recipes from the Sunday Supper Family. I hope you have a great rest of your day and an awesome week.
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 cup of pizza sauce (you can use store bought or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (or any shredded Italian cheese)
- 8 fresh basil leaves or toppings of your choice (pepperoni, sausage, peppers, etc)
- 2 TBS butter, softened
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Heat a grill pan or pannini press to medium high heat. If using a grill pan, add olive oil or butter to pan.
- Prepare the sandwiches for grilling by laying the pieces of bread open faced.
- Build each piece of bread with pizza sauce, cheese and then toppings.
- Put the 2 halves together and butter the side that will be grilling first.
- Place each sandwich butter side down and grill or heat about 2 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt. Flip over and heat the other side until golden brown.
- Cut in half and serve.
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Mini Pepperoni Pizza Frittatas by The Weekend Gourmet
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by Yummy Smells
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Blackberry, Basil and Ricotta Pizza by Authentically Candace
- Breakfast Platter Pizza by al2getherfit
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Enchilada Pizza by The Chef Next Door
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Smoked BBQ Brisket Pizza by From Gate to Plate
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Spinach, Chorizo, and Artichoke Pizza by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.