Are you ready for the New Year? I know I sure am. As 2016 draws to a close, I am already thinking of my travel plans for 2017. There are so many food oriented cities that I want to explore and I can’t think of a better place to stay than Extended Stay America.
Rooms include fully equipped kitchens with a refrigerator, stove top, oven and microwave. If you are like me and are often traveling on a budget, this is perfect because you can shop at a local market and prepare delicious and healthy meals in the comfort of your own room. As a single mother of two, if I am traveling with my kids, food can get quite expensive and the convenience of cooking our own meals is a huge money saver.
During a recent stay at Extended Stay America, I prepared a simple and healthy breakfast consisting of eggs, French toast and bacon. I can’t think of a better way to start the day than with a complete breakfast. I went shopping at the nearest market and purchased staples that I could use for a week such as eggs, bacon, milk, bread, butter, cheese, ground beef, fruit and vegetables. While traveling, I do like to eat out at some of the local establishments but it is nice to save money by having at least one meal prepared by me in my room. I might eat breakfast out one day but then I can be sure to enjoy dinner in the room save that extra money for other things.
Burger sliders and grilled cheese are two comforting classics that can be prepared quick and easy. To make a healthy version of grilled cheese, you can use whole grain or low-carb bread and instead of using butter to pan fry, use avocado or extra virgin olive oil. For burgers or burger sliders, I prefer to use a lean ground beef and pan fry in olive oil. My kids enjoy the classics with ketchup, mayo and cheese but I prefer to use a nice spicy mustard with melted brie and micro-greens. Whatever your preference is, you can create it. Extended Stay American makes everything super convenient with their ample storage space and kitchen supplies that can be delivered to your room in a matter of minutes. With one call to the front desk, I received everything I needed such as a frying pan, a strainer, plates, utensils and more.
Here are some of my favorite tips for eating healthy while traveling:
- shop at local produce stands if possible
- when shopping at a market, try to stick to the outer isles and avoid packaged foods
- choose lean means, skinless chicken breasts and organic if possible
- purchase gallons of drinking water and aim to drink one a day
- stock up on healthy snacks like unsalted almonds, celery with natural peanut butter, fruit, etc.
I am excited to share that in 2017, I will be sharing lots of healthy recipes that you can prepare at home or on the road. To find an Extended Stay America for your next trip, click here.
- 1.5 lbs of lean ground beef
- 1 pack of slider or kid burger buns (you can use dinner rolls as well)
- Seasonings such as kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder or anything you prefer to season meat
- Condiments of your choice such as lettuce, tomato, cheese, onions, pickles, etc.
- Open ground beef and portion into small burger patties about 3 oz each.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic in a pan on medium high heat on the stove.
- Season patties with salt, pepper and/or seasoning of your choice
- Place patties in the pan and fry until desired temperature is achieved.
- Serve on buns and garnish as you prefer