I swear, Southern cuisine is the best. What could be better than comforting dishes that are usually made with lots of bacon and savory ingredients. While researching Arkansas cuisine, I came across a recipe on Pinterest for an Arkansas Cornbread Sandwich and was literally drooling on my phone. I knew I had to make it and since it is made with ham, Easter Sunday was the perfect day to whip a few up for brunch.
As I sit her typing this, I am still feeling very full from my gluttonous Easter Sunday because all I did was eat. I can barely button my pants today but you know what, the food was totally worth it. N0t only did I find a new sandwich that I am seriously in love with, I found a new blog to follow. The Spice Kit Recipes did a fantastic job with this epic sandwich and I am thinking of featuring it as a special at the restaurant where I work. Easy to make and sure to be a crowd pleaser, all you need is a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix, shredded cheddar, milk, vegetable oil, ham, tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, Swiss and mayo. Simply bake the cornbread (cheese is added and the egg is omitted to create a denser consistency so that it will not crumble when putting the sandwich together) and after it cools, slice it into 8 pieces and build your sandwich with ham, lettuce, tomato, mayo, red onion and Swiss. I used the ham I baked for Easter and it had a nice brown sugar glaze so my sandwiches were on the sweet side but damn were they good. I ate three! Yes, I could not control myself and ate three, hence the reason I am on a cleanse this week.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and as soon as I lose the 5 lbs I gained yesterday, I will make it again. Enjoy!
- 1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- ½ Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 12 slices of ham
- tomato, sliced
- red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices of swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix Jiffy mix, milk, vegetable oil, and ½ cup cheddar cheese together.
- Pour into a well greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and top with remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20-23 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Slice in half lengthwise, then in 4 even slices widthwise. You will have 8 approx. 4 x 3 inch pieces of bread.
- Place each 3 pieces of ham on on a piece of the cornbread. Top with tomato, onion, lettuce, and cheese. Spread mayo on another piece of cornbread and place on top of the sandwich and dig in.