Happy Friday! I am hella ready to visit the next stop on my culinary tour of America because it just so happens to be my home state of California. Be warned, I have SO much to cover from the Golden State that I might be there for awhile. Let me start with a little bit about me. I was born in Walnut Creek, which is located just South of Oakland, and moved to San Jose when I was about two. I grew up in a great neighborhood in South San Jose and loved that I was just a car ride away from beautiful places like Carmel, San Francisco, Napa and Santa Cruz. I have been living in Tampa for almost 13 years now and miss California terribly. What I remember most about my home state is the abundance of fresh produce and beautiful landscape. We always had a garden filled with lettuce, squash, tomatoes, melons and herbs. Family dinners were very important and both my parents loved to cook. From a very young age, I learned that food was love and I think that is when my passion for food began.
I wanted to kick off my California food tour with something that represents California produce and some of my favorite flavors. Inspired by the blog Dine and Dish and their recipe for Egg and California Avocado Breakfast Flatbread, I came up with my own spin on this delicious recipe. With ingredients such as avocados, bacon, Campari tomatoes, fresh chives, goat cheese and a fried egg, this beautiful mess is the perfect way to start your day. Because I love heat, I added some Sriracha but you can omit that if you are not big on spicy flavor. Either way, I promise you will love this flatbread and because it is so easy, you can whip it up any day of the week.
If you are like me and are obsessed with avocado toast, you will love this. Simply bake a flatbread in the oven for 8 minutes, top with smashed avocado, tomato slices, bacon, goat cheese, a fried egg and chives and you have the perfect dish for a lazy Sunday brunch. Pair this with a mimosa and you will be in heaven. Share with someone or enjoy it alone. I did not slice this for the photo, but a pizza slicer works great. Of course, I ate this all myself and used a fork and knife. What can I say, avocados are my weakness. You can also get creative and add sliced sirloin or even chicken.
I hope you enjoy my first recipe from California and look forward to sharing many more flavors from my home state.
- 1 Flatbread (I used Massala Naan)
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 ripe California Avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Campari tomato, sliced
- 1 piece of fried bacon loosely chopped
- 1 TBS goat cheese
- 1 TBS fresh chives, chopped
- 2 eggs, fried over easy (I used one because my flatbread was on the smaller side)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sriracha (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Place flatbread on a cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until slightly toasted.
- In the meantime, coarsely mash the California avocado and red pepper flakes.
- Once the flatbread has baked, spread mashed avocado over it almost to the edges. Top with sliced tomatoes, the fried egg, goat cheese, bacon and chives. Add a Sriracha or hot sauce drizzle if you want to spice it up.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.