Happy Holidays! Can you believe another year has gone by? 2017 has definitely been a year of ups and downs for me but as the year comes to a close, I am grateful for everything I have endured which has only made me stronger. On that note, I am excited to once again be an ambassador for CK Mondavi and Family. We are all sharing our favorite holiday roast recipes and I must say, this was a challenge for me. Roasting and grilling are two areas in the culinary world that I want to improve on and 2018 is going to be my year to shine.
I wanted to take my favorite crock pot roast recipe and adapt it to roasting in the oven. While I was pleased with the end result and flavors, I want to practice until I can get my roasting techniques just right. I want to achieve the perfect medium rare center and will be practicing again on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
When it comes to roasting, less is more. I wanted to keep this simple and focus on the natural flavors of the meat. I used the Roast Perfect App from Certified Angus Beef ® and it was a life saver. I encourage you to download this app as it will be your best friend during the holiday season as well as any gathering where roasting is involved.
Another secret to my roast is this seasoning that I received from Certified Angus Beef ® and have been using it on simple steaks and pot roasts. It is incredible and is really all that is needed to achieve roasting perfection. You can find a great assortment of rubs and sauces here.
These simple seasonings brought out the best flavors in my standing rib roast and I wish you could taste the final product. My family and I enjoyed wonderful roast beef sandwiches as leftovers after and I will be sharing some of my sandwich creations with you on the blog next week.
I selected a beautiful standing rib roast from Sprouts Farmers Market and was super happy with my selection and how it paired with CK Mondavi and Family Cabernet. Once of my favorite varietals, it is a beautiful blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petite Sirah, 5% Merlot, 4% Petite Verdot, 2% Syrah, 1% Other. It’s deep red color reminds me of the holidays and the flavor profile showcases rich notes of cherry and blackberry. This wine is my go-to for most meat dishes, pizza and chocolate. In my area, CK Mondavi and Family wines are available at Publix, The Fresh Market and Sprouts Farmers Market to name just a few. You can use their find wine locator by clicking here.
I paired my roast with garlic-rosemary mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, blistered blackberries and CK Mondavi Cabernet. I chose the Cabernet because it has notes of cherries and blackberries and went so well with this roast.
Although this was one of my first attempts and creating holiday roast magic, I was very pleased with the end result and can’t wait to make this again on Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
Did I mention that I am a HUGE fan of the Ibotta App? Truth be told, I am somewhat addicted and love that I can get a rebate on my CK Mondavi Wine purchases. Currently you can get up to $4 back. To sign up, click here.
I hope you enjoy my roast and have a blessed holiday with your family and friends. I will be sharing some more roasting adventures as well as some other CK Mondavi and Family inspired recipes next week.
- **Note, I have a small family of 3, so I just used a 3.5 lb roast. Please adjust to your needs.
- For the Roast:
- 1 3.5 lb standing rib roast (bone-in)
- 2 Tablespoons of seasoning (I used Certified Angus Beef ® brand seasoning that I received at a conference but feel free to create your own magic with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and any other seasoning you desire)
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme for garnish
- For the Veggies:
- 1 cup baby rainbow carrots
- 1 onion loosely chopped
- 3 TBS olive oil
- For the Blistered Blackberries:
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 3 lbs potatoes of your choice (Yukon gold is what my kids love)
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 3 TBS minced garlic
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1.5 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- For The Roast and Veggies:
- (Be sure to refer to the Roast Perfect App for guidance and roasting time for your roast.My roast was 3.5 lbs)
- Preheat your oven to 450.
- Season the roast liberally using your seasoning of choice. I used a seasoning blend from Certified Angus Beef ® brand but you can use just kosher salt and pepper. Be sure to season all sides evenly.
- Before placing the roast in the roasting pan, toss the baby carrots and onion slices in olive oil and place in the bottom of the roasting pan, Place roast in the pan, bone-side down, on top of the carrots and onions.
- Place the roast in the oven and roast for 15 minutes at 450 then reduce the heat to 325 and roast about 3 hours or when the internal temperature reaches 135-140. Again, use the app for guidance.
- Once the roast is done, place on a cutting board and let rest for at lest 15 minutes before slicing. Scoop of the onions and carrots and place in a bowl. The veggies with be marinated with the seasoning and juice of the roast and will be perfect to pair as a side.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
- For the blackberries: (prepare while the roast is resting prior to slicing)
- Heat an iron skillet over high heat and add the blackberries, Be sure to swirl the pan to avoid sticking and heat until the berries begin to pop and slightly change color.
- Add berries as a side to your dish as they will make the flavor notes in the Cabernet pop when paired with the roast.
- For the Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes:
- Place a large pot of lightly salted water over medium heat and add the potatoes. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, strain and set aside.
- In the same pot, add your olive oil, minced garlic and rosemary and saute until lightly brown. Add the potatoes and mix evenly. Add your milk and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and mash with a potato masher until evenly combined.
- Serve and top with additional butter if desired.
This post is written in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family. As always, the opinions here are all my own.